DAY TRIP FROM ATHENS TO ANCIENT CORINTH, CAVES OF LAKES AT KALAVRITA & JOURNEY WITH COG RAILWAY
If you are looking for an alternative private tour from Athens and wish to enjoy the breathtaking, wild environment, this tour we have created is definitely suitable for you!
Visit the Cave of Lakes at Kalavrita, a rare creation of Nature, consisted of 13 in total lakes, rich in density and variety of shapes, colors and figures.
Visit the Monastery of Mega Spilaio, a multistory complex Monastery or the Ancient Corinth, one of Saint Paul’s beloved cities & enjoy the journey with the Cog Railway that has been mentioned as the most beautiful train trip in Balkans!
- Pick you up from your hotel at 08.00 and driving along the mainland coast to Peloponnese, we will have our first stop, 1 hour later, at the Canal of Corinth (6 km length and 80m height). We continue to reach at Ancient Corinth which was one of his beloved cities of Saint Paul. We will have the chance to visit the Ancient Market and the Bema of Apostle Paul. We will walk at the same paths that Apostle of Nations walked and preached hundreds of years earlier.
- Next stop at “Diakofto” to take the Cog Railway (Odontotos) which links Kalavrita with Diakopto going through Vouraikos Canyon, is one of the most beautiful natural sights and is one of the most spectacular railway rides.in Greece. It has been mentioned as the most beautiful train trip in Balkans. The little train travels through streams climbing the fantastic narrow gorge up into the mountains, through tunnels, over waterfalls, along cliffs and through forests of pine and oleander. When the incline gets really steep it switches from regular track to a cog system. The journey end at the town of Kalavryta.
- Our driver meet you there to continue the tour at the mysterious, magnificent and unique “Cave of the Lakes”. A rare creation of Nature. Small and large lakes, 13 in total, with different colors each one, depending on the oxides contained in the rocks. You will see the wonderful «hanging bridge» and the «waterfalls» «falling» and you have the feeling of being on a floating corridor. Also you will admire strange stalactite formations. In winter when the snow melts, the cave is transformed into a subterranean river with natural waterfalls. The cave’s explored length is 1,980 meters. The developed part of the cave is currently 500 meters long. You will start to explore the cave through an artificial tunnel that leads you directly to the second floor, whose sight is truly awe-inspiring. The passage of the lakes is made by elevated artificial bridges. ΅We have a stop for lunch and the picturesque village of Kalavrita. The duration of the tour is about 10 hours
**ADDITIONAL YOU CAN VISIT “MEGA SPILAIO” WITH EXTRA COST.
The Great monastery “Mega spilaio” that is situated at the opening of a large natural cave on Helmos mountain range, above the precipitous canyon of the Vouraikos River, at an altitude of 899 meters. The Monastery, considered the oldest in Greece, was built in 362 BC. The main church has frescoes dated from 1653, impressive marble floors, wood carved altarpiece, etc. while the frescoes trace back to the early 19th century. The Museum of the Monastery, boasts a rare banner with the forms of three Byzantine Emperors, manuscripts with excellent miniatures, precious golden crosses out of Holy Wood, copperplate etchings, portraitures, Gospels written on parchment, Chrysanthos Chrysanthou Notaras’ scapular, gold-embroidered Epitaphs, antimensia, Byzantine icons of great value, etc. Its library of more than 3,000 book volumes and a plethora of prints is also of immense value. The monastery was destroyed by fires at least four times, in 840, in 1400, in 1640 and in 1934. However, every single time the Holy Image would be remarkably saved.
- Canal of Corinth
- Cog Railway (odontotos)
- Cave of Lakes
- Mega Spilaio (OPTIONAL)
- The Museum of the Monastery
- The library Monastery with 3,000 book
- Village of kalavrita
Inclusion & Exclusions
- Transportation with private car or Minivan
- Pickup & Drop of from your hotel downtown
- English Speaking DRIVER
- Tour leader at the Cave of Lakes
- All taxes
- Personal expenses & meals
- Tour Guide
- Entrance fees
- Tickets to Cog Railway
- In order to confirm any booking, 30% payment in advance is required, fully refundable in case of any written cancellation received 8 days prior the arrival date.
- For any cancellation OR change within 7 days prior the first day of arrival and/or non shows, full cancellation fees applies – the total cost of the program.
- A written notification of any cancellation or change is necessary to be sent to SATTAS GROUP TOURS Greece.